Monday 9 June 2008

Forest Hill & Sydenham up in flames

Well, maybe not that dramatic, but it was quite a scene.



I woke up to a normal day, but apparently the fire had already started (just before 8 I believe) and the smoke was already rising.

Then, just before 9 the electricity went off. I spotted the black cloud and thought maybe some evangelical swimmers may have been looking to bring forward the demolition of the Forest Hill Pools.

I set off with my camera to investigate and found that the local electricity sub-station was in flames (or at least some oil fired generators next door) [story on the BBC]. Here they are on Google Maps:


View Larger Map

So, I took a few photos for the record.



[Click here for the full set of photos on Flickr]

Now, it seems that the record will be more complete thanks to these photos as they will probably be used in the South London Press and Mercury Newspapers. In fact, one is already on their website.

Quite a day, and that was BEFORE I went off to visit the Devonshire Road Nature Reserve and Forest Hill Day at the Horniman Museum gardens!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog. I love Forest Hill. I moved here about three months ago and can remember being very jittery about living south of the river.

It was a lovely surprise to discover that south Londoners actually talk to each other, that there is a real sense of community and lots of wonderful extras like the Horniman Museum and Dulwich Park nearby. It kept me sane while I was tidying up my novel, 'A Breathless Hush in the Close' which came out this week.

The place is so supportive and inspiring that I'm already onto novel number two!